Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sliver Quilting and X-factor pillows….


Circles, this "round" was all about circles over at the X-Factor pillow swap.
I decided to try a technique new to me, Sliver Quilting from the book, Sliver Quilts by Lisa O'Neill.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself, even read the directions this time, although I confess I didn't follow them precisely. This pillow is made from 4- 12" quarter circles.

Unstuffed pillow, showing quilting detail and my favorite striped shot cotton binding

 It's stuffed with a 26" pillow form and I think that's the right size if you want your pillow to be nice and fluffy, like here.
front

back- invisible zipper
although I'm guessing if you stared even a little bit you can guess where it is hiding.

The Details:
Title: Kaleidoscope Roulette
24" x 24"(unstuffed)
constructed with shot cottons, LouLouthi, and Zen Garden cottons and a circular, bias cut, satin accent
Hidden zipper closure on the back
Central FMQ, circular and ray quilting around the perimeter with  complimentary Aurifil threads
Central shot cotton covered button.

I used masking tape to indicate quilting placement.
There were lots of threads to bury.

the quilting detail stands out in this photo
close- up, front, circular and ray quilting
central FMQ with shot cotton covered button
Muslin backing of quilted front, you can see the overall design much better

5 comments:

  1. Such a fabulous design - the rich colours and quilting are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is gorgeous. The colors are so saturated and the quilting sets of the design perfectly. Such a well put together pillow :) Ready for a snuggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat job. So - with the tape for the rays, did you just stick with the straight tape size, or did you taper it somehow? (It looks like the rays splay out from the circle edge to the outer edge - did that effect just happen despite the tape's steady width?) love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Helios! Thanks so much for trying out the technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Stephanie! I am putting together a color presentation for PMQG and would like to use this as an example. Can I have your permission to use this photo with credit to you of course? Best!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….