Saturday, May 3, 2014

"Gypsy Sunshine"


The Sassy Quilter
I thought I might like to link this just finished quilt up with the Triangle Quilt along happening over on Flickr and The Sassy Quilter.

[I DON'T ALWAYS READ ALL THE DIRECTIONS ]

It's a quilt I'm making for my Mom, for her birthday and Mother's Day (they are close to each other so I though I could go for a 2-fer.

[ I DON'T READ DIRECTIONS THOROUGHLY]

I cut out all my nice equilateral triangles from the fabric my mom chose using my Jaybird quilts Hex-n-more ruler. Then I started fussing with the layout.

I tried dozens of layouts before I came up with one that I liked.

[I DON'T READ DIRECTIONS VERY WELL]

My daughter helped with the name and all was going swimmingly. Lined up all my triangles, pieced the top, and back, did the free motion quilting on my machine, making each sun a different pattern and keeping the white areas simple with a loop/double loop pattern, took pictures every now and then.

[I DON'T READ DIRECTIONS VERY WELL AT ALL]

Bound the quilt with a fun Amy Butler print from my stash that just happened to have all the riotous colors from the top and back.

Then I went back to the Triangle Quilt along and read the directions more carefully.
HUH! So, did I mention……… I don't read directions, thoroughly or very well.

So, laughing at myself (just a bit) and shaking my head (more than just a bit).

Here is MY Triangle Quilt……….
Front
Title: "Gypsy Sunshine"

98.5" x 70"
Completed April 2014
Design/pieced/quilted- me
Material:
         Fabrics: all 100% cotton
                       (Prints) Art Gallery "Indie Collection" by Pat Bravo, purple
                                   Meadow by MonaLuna, coral
                                   Hand drawn Garden by Anna Maria Horner for Free Spirit
                                   Dowry by Anna Maria Horner for Free Spirit , blue
                                   Charlie Harper by Birch Fabrics, yellow
                                   Amy Butler Soul Blossoms, Peacock Feathers- binding
                       (Solids) Kona Azalea Pink and Stella Cotton Solid white
        Threads:  100% Mako Cotton, 50 wt.
                       Aurifil 2021 (off white: for piecing and quilting- top)
                                  2530 (pink: quilting- back)
                       Assorted other variegated cotton thread/ gypsy suns
        Batting: 100% cotton warm and natural
        Other: Jaybird Quilt, Hex-n-more ruler
Back, still using my back-of-quilt-philosophy
Quilt back showcasing the FMQ on each "sun"






Happy Birthday, Happy Mother's Day, Mom!
P.S.

My mom received her quilt a day early and opened it! It's a hit
with Reggie and Hogan. Couldn't ask for a better endorsement.


4 comments:

  1. I love it as clearly does your mom and the puppies. So were you supposed to just make all triangles for the QAL. Anyway, you were inspired and that is probably all she was hoping for anyway, to inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Directions are only meant to be a "guide" :-) and besides, who needs directions when you can make a quilt like this one? I LOVE it! and I'm sure your mom is one happy camper! Beautifully creative work, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it turned out great! and the colors and layout are really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it turned out beautifully! And your quilting is impressive!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't speak up, I won't know what's in your mind…….